Monday, April 6, 2009

Swing it



Back when Montreal was called home, I joined a small casual swing dance group at my Cegep during my last year there. Like most people, before I joined, I had absolutely no idea what Swing was. To me, by the sound of it, it was some kind of country dance, or some variant of square dancing. But during some club day, they showed some videos of performances, and it seemed pretty nice to me. After learning that some of my friends were already in the club, I decided to give it a shot, even though dancing to me was like math to some people.

During that year, needless to say, I had a lot of fun. Biweekly sessions, small performances at various school events (even a talent show o.O), and new people, these great memories wouldn't have existed without an open mind.

Now, these past few days, I've been a bit nostalgic.

The following videos are a good example of how I see Lindy Hop (I guess the most popular subgenre):

Alain Wong was our teacher for free. Cool guy, though sometimes late for class.

Very nice performance. Kevin and Carla, a duo I enjoyed best so far.

Another video which really pushes Lindy Hop to acrobatics. I like it less because it's not as... swingy... unless what you swing is your partner. Nonetheless very impressive. (I kinda think it is being a bit fast forwarded... it looks way too fast, even for a fast dance.)


Anybody wants to try it out Fall 09 style?

$35.94


2 comments:

Free Blog Counter