Sunday, June 7, 2009

Nice cleavage

This Friday, my boss bought me beer. I don't know about Montreal, or Waterloo, Toronto, or wherever one might be, but Friday was a sunny but not a soleil de plomb, blue-sky, and hair-in-a-slight-soothing-breeze day. A few of my coworkers (I shouldn't say coworker because they are all permanent and higher ranked workers...) decided to go out to have a nice cold beer at a nearby pub. My boss asked if I wanted to join them. At first I was somewhat hesitant at the thought of having to mingle with "older folks", and sieving my words as I had to talk to them in a professional manner. But then again, the best opportunities in life usually only come unexpectedly with "networking".

I don't like the word "networking", because it usually doesn't really work that way. Yes you get contact information from various people at "networking" events. But how often do you follow up? And actually how well do you know those people to think they will give you an opportunity before they give it to their real friends? I went to some of these networking events. They usually consist of people awkwardly exchanging e-mails on little pieces of paper that would serve better as emergency toilet paper.

Real "networking" takes time and effort. And it sucks if you don't actually like the person. So, I don't try to cast a huge net. It's a "WOMBAT". I just befriend people just because they seem chill or fun to be with. Trying to use them as future potential stepping stones is a futile attempt. They won't care about you anyways if you don't care about them.

So I accepted. In went the beer, and out went a bit of office gossip. It was a nice experience, especially when your boss pays your beer.


Also, earlier that day, my boss had a Second Cup banana nut muffin, and gave me half. It was THE best muffin of my life. Crisp but not quite crunchy exterior, soft and warm but not mushy interior, a generous amount of roasted walnuts, sweet scent of a banana, it was quite the muffin. It's definitely going to be my breakfast sometimes. I guess you have to buy it fresh in the morning as well.


National Art Gallery in less than 9 hours.

$43.86
Keep clicking

7 comments:

  1. Theres nothing about cleavage....

    ReplyDelete
  2. that blonde girl...vely vely niiice!
    - F

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good post about real networking, but where's the cleavage??

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow is justin lin reading my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yah, I'm planning to steal quotes from your blog for my next movie

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter