Friday, May 29, 2009

Philosophy of cooking


Cooking is like math. You first cook with premade dishes, premade seasonings, premade whatever. Then, you axiomatize the theory you learned and blindly accepted. You try to recreate the premade theorems from raw and unprocessed ingredients. This is how you improve on the premade stuff. You question it ruthlessly, change the assumptions, and experiment.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working on it. It's also a bit more time consuming.

These were the main ingredients for a tuna mushroom cream pasta sauce:
Chunked tuna, Campbell's mushroom cream, green onion, mushrooms (cuz the soup is weaksauce), and garlic.
The proportions are approximate, let intuition build up from experience.
Fry garlic and green onion in oil, throw in mushrooms and let it get a slight burnt texture, throw in the rest. Adjust consistency with milk; adjust taste with salt and black pepper, but don't overdo it. I hate it how people don't even taste their plate and instantly put half the salt and pepper container. We live in the 21st century. The food is not rotten.

I don't have a end picture. It's not very interesting; it's a sauce...

The second well-made dish was steamed ginger beef. It's a secret recipe from mommy. That's all I'll say on it. I actually made it at a random girl's place, whom I met when the fire drill went off and was wrapped in a blanket. She liked it, and washed the dishes. End of story. No pictures obviously.

Another simple dish I made, shrimp and celery stir fry. Stir fries are really easy, just stir, and fry.


Shrimps, celery, oyster sauce, white pepper, garlic clove, ginger slice, maybe salt if you have a lot of celery.
Mix shrimps, oyster sauce, pepper, and set aside. Fry the garlic clove and ginger slice in oil to get some flavour out. Throw in the celery (cuz it cooks slower than shrimps) and salt if you need some. Let the celery soften up a little. Throw in the shrimps, do not overcook. Really, don't. Or else the shrimps get dry, and that is weak.



Ignore the pasta, it's lame, just for a random side. Those are mesquite spiced pork chops. This is one of those big-ass premade theorems I used without understanding it.

Pork chops (select the ones with a good amount of marbled fat IN the meat, not around it. I think it makes it much more tender.)
Onions
Mesquite spice (the heavy artillery)

That's it.. Dribble the chops with olive oil (to make the spice stick well) and cover with Mesquite spice, and let it sit for a while before frying. Fry the onions in oil, then fry the pork chops, sometimes turning it. Again do not overcook. Dry and hard pork chops are cafeteria signatures.

Will I ever discover the secret of the Mesquite spice mixture? Tune in..
Soon, I'll try to make pasta sauce from scratch, aka the tomatoes. I'll let someone else grow them. I'm not that hardcore.

PAYCE (peace, but gangsta like)

$42.98

----------------------------
Random stuff:
I have Nazi food.
OMG is that the MC????? lol.. It's the MC of UofO

3 comments:

  1. Your very first phrase scared me away. Right there I was hesitating whether to continue the rest for a few seconds. Good thing to have those self-explanatory pictures.
    I'm happy to see you enjoy the art of cooking. So does it mean I will taste some of your chef d'oeuvre in the fall? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo that looks JUST LIKE THE MC IN UWATERLOO!!! THEY PLAGIARIZED OUR DESIGN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the art of cooking is just the like a screen saver. people come to your home and see a fancy 3d moving image and just start to fantisize about doesn't prove that its even a little useful. me, i think that food is the pleasure could only be enjoyed when sight doesn't affect your judgement. even though the tricked photography might be intriging, but the food stays abysmal. your art of cooking in display is still far from the realm of tastefulness.

    booooooooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter